Kodi boxes that allow the streaming of TV shows and films plus live sports, all for free, are being branded as a major health hazard, this according to Electrical Safety First who have conducted a review of a selection of the popular illicit streaming devices, as part of their regular product assessments.
Out of the screened streaming devices, all of them failed with several models found to be potentially life-threatening. Electrical Safety First tested 9 of the popular Kodi devices that had been previously confiscated from homes across the UK. The devices often tend to be cheap and unbranded with pre-loaded Kodi software along with seemingly illegal pirate addons that enable the user to access copyright-protected content for free.
All boxes tested failed to comply with the Electrical Equipment Safety Regulations 1994. Electrical Safety First explained how “Several of the samples were considered to offer a potential risk of injury to the user, which includes risk of electric shock and/or fire.”
“The product review relates primarily to the switched mode power supply units for the connection to the mains supply, which were supplied with the devices, to identify any potential risks to consumers such as electric shocks, heating and resistance to fire. “The boxes themselves were assessed in terms of any faults in the marking, warnings and instructions.”
Even more concerning was the estimate made by the Intellectual Property Office, that more than a million of these potentially dangerous streaming devices have been sold in the UK in the last 2 years. Product safety manager at Electrical Safety First, Steve Curtler explained how “given the nature of the safety issues we found, [the worst-case result of one malfunctioning] would be for a fire to break out, causing severe property damage and even fatalities, and of course fatalities from electric shock,”
Mr Curtler urged anyone who is using these devises, unplug and stop using them immediately.